Two-Factor Authentication is required to establish a VPN connectionThe VPN connection will allow you to use your home PC to connect to your office PC using a secure connection. All applications and settings on your office PC will be available to you using the remote connection.Preparation:
GSBS office computer will need to be powered on. Monitors can be turned off.Get the VPN client:Download and install the SonicWall Mobile Connect app from thew Windows App Store or Apple App Store.
Establishing the VPN Connection:
- Double click the icon “SonicWall Mobile Connect.”
- Click Next on the first window.
- When prompted for a host name or server name, type in: govpn.uth.tmc.edu
- When prompted, enter your UTHealth userid and password.
- Once connected, you will see an SonicWall Mobile Connect icon in the Windows system tray or MacOS status menu.
- Point your web browser to https://inside.uthouston.edu/. If you see the Inside UTHealth website without having to enter your login information in the browser then you have connected to our network.
- On the Start Menu, Click on Start, All Programs, Accessories, Remote Desktop Connection.
- In the Computer field, enter gsbs-computername.ms.uthouston.edu
- "computername" is unique to you. You can check your office computer’s name by right clicking on the My Computer or Computer icon. (Windows 10: right click on the Windows icon in the lower left of the desktop, then left click on System) Click on Properties, Computer Name Tab. The “Full Computer Name” is what you need to type in the window above.
- Click on connect.
- This will bring you to the log on screen of your office computer.
- Enter your UTHealth userid and password.
- Your domain is UTHOUSTON. (If the login screen does not show this domain, you may need to precede your username with: uthouston\ )
You may print on the printers that your office PC already has access to. You may have the ability to use your home printer during the remote session but please refrain if you routinely deal with sensitive information.strongb>Leaving the Remote Desktop
Leaving your PC on (reconnection possible)
- Close the Remote Desktop window by clicking the x button at the top right.
- Click on OK to disconnect.
- Right click on the Aventail VPN icon in system tray and select “disconnect.”
- Click on the Start button.
- Click on Windows Security.
- Click on Shutdown.
- Select Restart on the drop down menu and click on OK.
Right click the SonicWall Mobile Connect icon in the Windows system tray or MacOS status menu and select Disconnect.