Students form their Advisory Committee once they've chosen their advisor
- The Advisory Committee bears the primary responsibility for monitoring the Ph.D. student's progress and assists the student in:
- Selection of courses
- Development of a research program, and
- Preparation for the candidacy exam
- After the candidacy exam, the Advisory Committee monitors the student's progress until all degree requirements are met
- The committee consists of at least five members, including the student's advisor who chairs the committee, chosen to assure representation by faculty competent in the student's major area of research.
- For students who matriculated in the Fall semester, a completed Advisory Committee form is to be submitted to Academic Affairs by August 31
- Here's a link to the Advisory Committee form
- To change the composition of the Advisory Committee after it has been approved by the Academic Standards Committee, go to the Academic Forms page to find the form that must be completed and submitted to Academic Affairs for approval.