Students may petition to waive their 3rd tutorial if they meet certain conditions
Associate Dean Bill Mattox will likely approve waiver of the 3rd tutorial if the student:
- Has chosen an advisor with sufficient funding to support the student when GSBS funding ends, and
- Has extensive previous research experience, a thesis-based M.S. degree and/or publications in the biomedical sciences
Students who meet these criteria and wish to waive their 3rd tutorial should send an email to Dr. Mattox to request the waiver and copy their advisor on the email. In addition, the advisor should write to Dr. Mattox to confirm that he/she is willing to take the student and has the financial resources to support the student when GSBS funding ends.
The waiver of more than one tutorial is very unusual.
It's understandable that students are eager to get started on their dissertation research and may choose to waive their 3rd tutorial, if they're eligible. However, before taking that step, students should consider the benefits of doing a 3rd tutorial:
- Exposure to a new research area
- Opportunity to learn new laboratory techniques
- Development of relationships with other researchers potentially useful for future networking opportunities