Students may petition to waive their third tutorial if they meet certain conditions.
Waivers of the third tutorial require that the student:
- Has chosen an advisor with sufficient funding to support the student when GSBS funding ends, and
- Has extensive previous research experience, a thesis-based MS degree and/or publications in the biomedical sciences
Students who meet these criteria and wish to waive their third tutorial should apply for an exception by completing this form. Completed forms should be sent to Natalie Sirisaengtaksin with their new advisor copied on the email. If the GSBS determines that the student qualifies for this exception, an Accountable Mentorship Agreement will be sent to both the student and their new advisor to formalize the lab affiliation.
Please note that the waiver of more than one tutorial is very unusual and would require additional justification.
It is understandable that students are eager to get started on their dissertation research and may choose to waive the third tutorial, if they're eligible. However, before taking that step, students should consider the benefits of doing a third tutorial:
- Exposure to a new research area of science.
- Opportunity to learn new approaches and methodologies
- Development of relationships with other researchers who may offer opportunities for future networking, become members of the student's Advisory Committee, and/or authors of future recommendation letters.