Tropical Storm Beta - 10:15 p.m., Sept. 22, 2020
As the remnants of Tropical Depression Beta move across the Houston area, the rain and street flooding is expected to subside by Wednesday morning.
UTHealth will be open and operational beginning at 6 a.m., Wednesday, Sept. 23, unless weather conditions deteriorate overnight. The Graduate School will also return to regular online operations unless inclement weather continues.
MD Anderson campuses in the TMC continue to operate under Level-2 Warning conditions due to COVID-19.
Please continue to monitor this page for the latest updates.
Inclement weather conditions or natural disasters severe enough to cause closure are very rare, but when they do occur, GSBS policy is as follows:
- With regard to lectures, didactic classes and other official on-campus school functions, the GSBS will close when our first parent institution (UTHealth or MD Anderson) closes, and re-open when the last one re-opens. The GSBS web site will give the current status of classes.
- Students should follow their faculty advisor’s institutional policies to determine when to return/report to their laboratories.
Personal Refuge: UTHealth and MD Anderson are not equipped to serve as a shelter during a hurricane or other emergency situation. Only ride-out team members (whose job responsibilities require their presence on a 24-hour basis) will be permitted access to facilities. Family members and pets will not be permitted to shelter at any UTHealth or MD Anderson facility during a hurricane or other emergency situation.
Students should check the following websites:
For students working at MD Anderson: www3.mdanderson.org/employeealert/
For students working at UTHealth: uthealthemergency.org
Faculty, staff and students can also log onto www.cancellations.com/ for a complete list of area closings, including UTHealth schools.
Other sources of information:
Traffic Incidents and Road Closures
- Channel 2 KPRC (NBC affiliate)
- Channel 11 KHOU (CBS affiliate)
- Channel 13 KTRK (ABC affiliate)
- Channel 26 (KRIV)
- Channel 39 (KHCW)
- Channel 45 (KXLN)
- Channel 47 (KTMD)
- 950 AM (KPRC)
- 740 AM (KTRH)
- Call (toll-free) 1-866-237-0107 for UTHealth closure
- Call 713-792-7464 for MD Anderson closure
Institutional Text Alert Systems