Inclement weather conditions or natural disasters severe enough to cause closure are very rare, but when they do occur, GSBS policy is as follows:
- With regard to lectures, didactic classes and other official on-campus school functions, the GSBS will close when our first parent institution (UTHealth or MD Anderson) closes, and re-open when the last one re-opens. The GSBS web site will give the current status of classes.
- Students should follow their faculty advisor’s institutional policies to determine when to return/report to their laboratories.
Personal Refuge: UTHealth and MD Anderson are not equipped to serve as a shelter during a hurricane or other emergency situation. Only ride-out team members (whose job responsibilities require their presence on a 24-hour basis) will be permitted access to facilities. Family members and pets will not be permitted to shelter at any UTHealth or MD Anderson facility during a hurricane or other emergency situation.
Students should check the following web sites:
For students working at MD Anderson: www3.mdanderson.org/employeealert/
For students working at UTHealth: uthealthemergency.org
Faculty, staff and students can also log onto www.cancellations.com/ for a complete list of area closings, including UTHealth schools.
Other sources of information:
Traffic Incidents and Road Closures
- Channel 2 KPRC (NBC affiliate)
- Channel 11 KHOU (CBS affiliate)
- Channel 13 KTRK (ABC affiliate)
- Channel 26 (KRIV)
- Channel 39 (KHCW)
- Channel 45 (KXLN)
- Channel 47 (KTMD)
- 950 AM (KPRC)
- 740 AM (KTRH)
- Call (toll-free) 1-866-237-0107 for UTHealth closure
- Call 713-792-7464 for MD Anderson closure