Qualified individuals who hold a bachelor's degree in science, who have a demonstrated interest in a career in research, and who wish to take courses at the graduate level without enrolling in an MS or PhD degree program may be admitted to the GSBS as non-degree students. Applications for non-degree study are due two months prior to the start of the semester and are considered for fall, summer and spring. Instructions for applying are below.
Employees of Texas Medical Center institutions may register for courses as non-degree employees. Instructions for registering as a non-degree employee may be found here.
For tuition and fees information, please click here.
Deadline to apply for Fall 2018 enrollment as a non-degree seeking student is June 27, 2018.
Please note: GSBS does not sponsor visas for non-degree seeking international students.
Requirements and Instructions
All materials will be collected via our online application system (Embark). No paper application materials will be accepted. Below is a list of required materials for applying to GSBS as a non-degree seeking student. Please read the instructions below carefully.
- Application form - You must create an account to apply. The form will allow you to save your work and return at a later time.Unofficial transcripts - An unofficial copy of your transcript from each college and university attended is required. Transcripts from every school attended are required, regardless if the class was transferred and listed on another transcript.
- Application fee - A $30 application fee is required. The online system will accept credit and debit cards only. If you do not have a credit or debit card, please contact the Office of Admissions.
- CV/Resume - A CV or resume is required and should include academic honors, awards received in college, employment history, internships, summer research programs, education history, etc.
- Personal statement - Please provide a one (1) page personal statement which explains your motivation for pursuing enrollment as a non-degree seeking student.
- Three letters of recommendation are required to apply. Registered recommenders will receive an email requesting a letter be submitted via an online portal. Each letter must be on institutional letterhead and signed by the recommender.
Students admitted as non-degree seeking students must submit immunization records and have a background check performed prior to enrollment. Instructions regarding these and other pre-enrollment requirements will be sent by email once admitted.