All materials will be collected via our online application system. No paper application materials will be accepted. Below is a list of required materials for applying to GSBS. Please read the instructions below carefully.
For instructions on applying as a non-degree seeking student, please click here.
Questions? Please see our FAQ.
Application Requirements and Instructions
All components of the application must be submitted electronically for both domestic and international applicants. Please note that there is no need to submit official transcripts or test scores as part of the preliminary application process. This information will be self-reported by you the applicant. You will need to upload copies of your transcript and test scores via the online application system. Once we complete the preliminary admissions process, we will contact you directly to request official documents if needed.
- Application form - You must create an account to apply. The form will allow you to save your work and return at a later time.
- Unofficial transcripts - An unofficial copy of your transcript from each college and university attended is required. Transcripts from every school attended are required, regardless
ifthe class was transferred and listed on another transcript. Copies should be uploaded online with the application only.
- Grade Point Average - GPAs must be converted to a 4.0 scale.
- GRE General Test scores - Applicants to the umbrella Biomedical Sciences PhD program and MS program in Biomedical Sciences are no longer required to provide GRE scores (effective for Fall 2019 applications). If you are applying to the MS program in Genetic Counseling or the MS and PhD programs in Medical Physics, you must be able to provide your GRE scores to apply. Please upload a copy of your ETS score report online with your application (even if you have already sent an official copy to the University via ETS).
- TOEFL scores (International applicants) - A copy of your ETS score report is required and should be uploaded online with the application only.
fee- A $50 application fee is required. The online system will accept credit and debit cards only. If you do not have a credit or debit card, please contact the Office of Admissions.
- CV/Resume - A CV or resume is required and should include academic honors, awards received in college, employment history, internships, summer research programs, education history, etc.
- Personal statement - Please provide a one (1) page personal statement which explains your motivation for seeking a graduate degree in
the BiomedicalSciences. This statement should discuss your professional career goals, your interest in science and why you are interested in obtaining your graduate degree at MD Anderson Cancer Center UTHealth Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
- Research Statement - Please provide a one (1) page research statement which describes your previous research experience. In this statement,
includea detailed description of at least one independent research project, what you did, what you learned and the significance of this work. If you do not have previous research experience, please explain what other experiences you have that make you a suitable candidate for graduate school. The Research Statement is required if you are applying to the PhDprogram and optional for MS applicants.
- Optional Essay - The GSBS Admissions Committee takes into account many factors when evaluating applications. This includes any educational and/or socio-economic disadvantages in obtaining the knowledge,
skillsand abilities to develop and participate in a research career. For example, individuals from a social, cultural, financial, socio-economic or educational environment that did not promote access to research experiences or relevant educational opportunities may wish to detail how they have overcome adverse circumstances. Please use this optional essay to explain any disadvantages you experienced and how you overcame such obstacles.
- Presentation and publications listing with abstracts - For all publications list the full citation giving the abstract for each in chronological order. For presentations (poster and oral presentations) indicate the type of presentation, the forum in which the presentation was made, the date of the presentation and the abstract.
- Names and contact information for recommenders - Three letters of recommendation are required to apply. Registered recommenders will receive an email requesting a letter be submitted via an online portal. Each letter must be on institutional letterhead and signed by the recommender. Recommenders should be well qualified to evaluate your scholastic performance, scientific ability, research interests and motivation, and personal attributes such as character and personality. If you are currently
enrolled,or have completed, a graduate degree program, one of these recommendations must be from your academic advisor or mentor.