Due to concerns about the COVID-19 outbreak, the May 9 Commencement has been canceled.
Additional information is available here.
Although the deans and staff are extremely disappointed, the health of graduates, their families and friends, and faculty, is a top priority - and your understanding of this difficult decision is appreciated.
Welcome, Families and Guests!
The GSBS staff always enjoys this event because it is the successful culmination of years of training for our students. We have watched over - and sometimes helped with - the trials, the tribulations, and the victories. Seeing our students achieve this momentous goal and celebrating with their families and friends is very gratifying. We hope that you will find the ceremony enjoyable and memorable.
Below are some general guidelines for the event:
- We welcome the participation of our graduates’ families and friends, but please try to limit the number of guests to six (6) or less.
- Doors to Stude Hall (auditorium where ceremony takes place) will be open at 9:00 am for guests.
- Attire: The GSBS Commencement is an elegant and formal - yet personal - event for each of our graduates. As a participant in these exercises, we ask that you dress in "business casual" attire. For women: dresses, suits or pant suits are appropriate. For men: suits, or slacks and coats with open shirts are welcome. Jeans and flip-flops are not appropriate attire for this event.
- Photographs: As in previous years, GSBS will have a professional photographer onsite to take pictures of the graduates. Each student will be provided a link to free photographs (several weeks after the ceremony). You can bring your own camera or photographer for additional photo opportunities. If photos are taken as the graduate walks across the stage, please make sure the photographer returns to his/her seat quickly, enabling others to do likewise. Our goal is to allow documentation of this special event, but to maintain a clear view of the stage for the rest of the audience. Please remember to preserve the reverence of this memorable event for our graduates.
- Ushers will assist persons needing special access.
- Ushers will direct unruly children and their family members to a quiet location so that children can be calmed. They may then return to their seats or view the ceremony from the monitor located in the reception foyer.
- Special guests from the University and the community will be welcomed and directed by Staff/ushers to special seating.
- After the ceremony, please permit the graduates and faculty to exit Stude Hall first.
- Immediately following the ceremony, graduates and their guests are invited to enjoy a modest reception in the foyer.
Travel and Lodging
The 2020 Commencement exercises of The University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences will be held on Saturday, May 9, at the Rice University campus adjacent to the Texas Medical Center. Driving directions to the Texas Medical Center can be found at here.
Lodging is available at the Houston Marriott at the Texas Medical Center ...conveniently located adjacent to both the Texas Medical Center and Rice University campus.
Hampton Inn & Suites Medical Center, 1715 Old Spanish Trail, Houston, TX 77054
Marriott Courtyard Houston Medical Center, 7702 Main Street, Houston, TX 77030
InterContinental Houston - Medical Center, 6750 Main Street, Houston, TX 77030