GSBS Awards and Funding Opportunities
Each year GSBS provides funding to help students defray the costs of attending scientific meetings. These Travel Awards, approved by the Student Affairs Office, are in the following amounts:
- M.S. & pre-candidacy Ph.D. students -- $350
- Post-candidacy Ph.D. students -- $500
The Student Affairs Office considers the following criteria when reviewing a request for travel funds:
- The student has completed the Application for Student Travel Award and has submitted the Application and additional required materials at least four weeks before requested travel date.
- For applications to attend a meeting, the student must be first-author of a presentation (talk or poster) at a regional, national or international meeting.* The research that the student present must be research performed as a UT-GSBS at Houston student. A student who has performed research prior to joining the schools as a student may not use that research as the basis for the travel.
- For applications to attend a workshop or course, the student must present the invitation to attend plus documentation that the invitation to attend was the result of some competitive review of the student's application.
- The student must be in good academic standing.
- The student must not have received a travel award during the current academic year.
*Students are encouraged to submit the Travel Award Application as soon as possible, even if acceptance of abstract is pending. Air fare and/or registration fees can be prepaid upon acceptance of abstract.
Please note that in order to receive the money awarded, the student must give accurate departure/return dates and times to GSBS before leaving on the trip, and the student must bring original receipts and a copy of the cover of the event's brochure to GSBS after the trip.