G&E Spring Career Symposium
The Genetics and Epigenetics (G&E) Spring Career Symposium will be an exciting day filled with seminars, panels, workshops, roundtables and networking. Guest speakers from academia, industry, tech transfer, and more will provide insight, guidance and mentoring on the beautiful grounds of MD Anderson's Science Park campus in Smithville, Texas. Late registrations are still being accepted.
Symposium Date: April 26, 2019
Time: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
Location: MD Anderson Science Park Campus in Smithville, Texas
Driving Directions from Houston
-Take I-10 West from Houston to the Highway 71 exit in Columbus (about 1 1/4 hours from the TMC towards San Antonio)
-Exit onto Texas 71 in Columbus and continue to Smithville.
-About 1 mile past the 3rd Smithville exit (Loop 230/FM 153), take the exit marked KLBJ Road. This is a small road, marked by a very small sign.
-Turn Right on KLBJ Road and go about 1/4 mile up the hill. At the first intersection, turn left and continue up the hill (174 on attached map).
-Take this road to the end, where it intersects with Park Road 1C (there is an MD Anderson sign here).
-Turn Left on Park Road 1C and continue about a mile to the Entrance to Science Park, which will be on your right.
-Turn Right into Science Park. Go through the gate and turn right.
-The Conference Center will be on your left. Park anywhere in that area.
Program (scroll down also)
For more information, please contact the Organizing Chairs, Alex Blackburn (Alexandria.email@example.com) or Jovanka Gencel Augusto (firstname.lastname@example.org). See organizing committee members at end.
G&E Spring Symposium Program
9:00 - 10:00a: Registration, Science Park Conference Center
10:10 – 11:00a: Session #1 - Scientific Perspectives: Academia vs. Industry
- Dr. Barbara Czako, Institute Senior Research Scientist, Applied Cancer Science Institute (IACS), MD Anderson
- Dr. Taiping Chen, Professor, Department of Epigenetics and Molecular Carcinogenesis, MD Anderson
11:15 – 12:30p: Session #2 - Series of Workshops
- How to Identify a Career Path: Derek Haseltine, Director, Career Development, Baylor College of Medicine
- Interviewing and CV’s: Derek Haseltine, Director, Career Development, Baylor College of Medicine
- Giving Chalk Talks: Dr. Jichao Chen, Associate Professor, Department of Pulmonary Medicine-Research, MD Anderson; G&E Program Co-Director
12:30 – 1:50p: Lunch & Optional Science Park Tour
1:50 – 2:50p: Session #3: How to Get / How to Avoid a Post-doc Position
- Dr. Joseph Taube, Assistant Professor, Department of Biology, Baylor University
- Dr. Richard Wood, Professor, Department of Epigenetics and Molecular Carcinogenesis, MD Anderson
- Dr. Brandon Russell, Medical Science Liaison, GlaxoSmithKline
3:00 – 4:00p: Session #4: Career Paths Panel
- Academia: Dr. Georgios Karras, Assistant Professor, Department of Genetics, MD Anderson
- Medical Science Liaison: Dr. Brandon Russell, Medical Science Liaison, GlaxoSmithKline
- Teaching: Dr. Alessandra Di Lorenzo, Biology Professor, Austin Community College
- Technology Transfer: Dustin Romine, Associate Director, Strategic Industry Ventures, Technology Commercialization, MD Anderson
4:10 – 5:00p: Roundtable Discussions with Speakers
5:00 – 6:00p: Symposium Reception
Alexandria Blackburn (Dr. Rachel Miller's lab), Co-Chair
Jovanka Gencel Augusto (Dr. Gigi Lozano's lab), Co-Chair
Amelie Albrecht (Dr. Snow Shen's lab)
Jianji Chen (Dr. Mark Bedford's lab)
Dr. David Johnson
Dr. Richard Wood