MD Anderson Cancer Center UTHealth
Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences


What if I have not chosen an M.S. advisor? Is there a course that I can take for the research credit?

Students who have not chosen their advisor may register for Special Project: Course, Special Project: Research under Dr. Eric Swindell.

The following criteria for registration apply:


What is the difference in full-time versus part-time enrollment?

Full-time registration is:

Part-time registration is:

Please note: if you are funded by Faculty, Financial Aid, or an International Student you MUST be registered as a full-time student. However, if you are a domestic, self-funded student you may register as a part-time student.


What is the difference between good academic standing and academic probation?

Good academic standing is maintained when the student’s overall Grade Point Average (G.P.A.) is 3.0 or better and the student has been meeting his/her M.S. milestones in a timely fashion.

Academic probation - any of the following actions or conditions can cause the student to be placed on academic probation by the Dean:



Are there any additional requirements regarding Advisory Committee meetings?


Are there additional details I should know about the M.S. Defense?


What if I am not able to complete all of the necessary paperwork following my M.S. defense before the semester deadline?

Application to the GSBS Ph.D. program

M.S. students are welcome to apply for acceptance to the Ph.D. program. All applicants (including GSBS M.S. students) will be evaluated using the same criteria. M.S. students must complete all of the requirements for their degree prior to beginning their Ph.D. work. In the event that the student is unable to complete the elements of their M.S. degree prior to the first semester of the Ph.D. program, the student must defer until completion of their M.S. degree requirements.