Each year GSBS provides funding to help students defray the costs of attending scientific meetings. These Travel Awards, approved by the Office of Academic Affairs, are in the following amounts:
- MS/SMS & Pre-candidacy Ph.D. students -- $350
- Post-candidacy Ph.D. students -- $500
Receiving this award will have no impact on the eligibility of the student to receive another award to attend a virtual conference within the same academic year.
An additional $100 funding will be provided to eligible applicants who submit a copy of their IDPs completed within the last year.
The Student Affairs Office considers the following criteria when reviewing a request for travel funds:
1. The student has completed the Travel Award Application for In-Person Conferences and has submitted the Application, Abstract and proof of its acceptance via DocuSign preferably four weeks before requested travel date.
2. The student must be first author or co-first author of a presentation (talk or poster) at a regional, national or international meeting. The research that the student present must be research performed as a UT-GSBS student. A student who has performed research prior to joining the schools as a student may not use that research as the basis for the travel award.
The student has been invited to attend a prestigious meeting, eg., a Gordon Conference.
3. The student must be in good academic standing.
4. The student must not be overdue for an Advisory Committee meeting at the time of the application for the travel award.
5. The student must not have received a travel award during the current academic year. (Program awards excluded)
6. The student must have an ORCID account that is public, updated, and linked to his/her myGSBS page.
7. A student who submits a copy of his/her GSBS IDP makes him/her eligible to receive an additional funding of $100. The IDP must have been completed within the last year. More information on the GSBS IDP can be found here. Please refer questions about the IDP to