A graduate degree in the biomedical sciences offers you a wealth of opportunities, both inside the lab and outside. In order to best prepare you for the next steps of your journey, the Office of Career Development offers a variety of services.
Students can partake in services to address:
- Career Search and Exploration including using the Individualized Development Plan (IDP), 1:1 Advising, and Internship Search and Navigation
- Career Development Events
- Courses and Resources
The GSBS Office of Career Development offers individual career advising appointments to discuss a wide range of career-related topics to help you prepare for your transition after graduate school. We meet you wherever you are in your career planning. Whether you are just exploring your options or ready to plan your exit out of graduate school, we are here to facilitate your transition to the next step in your career or training.
Make your career advising appointment on Calendly.
Topics you can discuss during your career advising appointment include:
Preparing application documents including CV, cover letter, and resume
- Professional communication skills such as interviewing, negotiation, and networking
- Exploring career options in academia, industry, government, etc.
- Developing a personalized strategy for conducting a job or postdoc search
- Creating an individual development plan for goal-setting, skill development, and career planning
- Integrating an internship into your graduate career
- Discussing plans and exploring resources for applying to external fellowships
- Applying to graduate school and preparing your application (current GSBS MS students)
An important component in the job search is the creation of the curriculum vitae (CV), resume, and cover letter. We have a wealth of resources available on Canvas, and the Office of Career Development is happy to help you craft and revise these documents. If you have a document in need of review, email it to email@example.com. Please allow about two business days for review.
If you would like to learn more about a particular field before completing your degree, an internship is a great way. GSBS students who are interested in completing an internship are encouraged to review the Internship Policy. Students who are seeking to pursue an internship, to make an internship advising appointment on Calendly and review the internship policy. Visit the GSBS Office of Career Development LinkedIn page for a variety of internship and fellowship opportunities. Additional internship resources are available on the UTHealth Houston Career Development Canvas site.