All materials will be collected via our online application system (Embark). Applications for Fall 2022 are now being accepted. Below is a list of required materials for applying to GSBS. All materials, including letters of recommendation, are due by the deadline. Please read the instructions below carefully before starting your application.
Questions? Please see our FAQ.
Requirements and Instructions
All components of the application must be submitted via the online application system and no paper materials will be accepted. Please note that there is no need to submit official transcripts or test scores when applying. We will contact you directly if official documents are needed.
- Application form - The form is hosted online and you must create an account here to apply. The form will allow you to save your work and return at a later time.
- Unofficial transcripts & GPA - An unofficial copy of your transcript from each college and university attended is required. This includes transcripts from every school attended, regardless if the class was taken for dual credit or transferred and listed on another transcript. Graduate and undergraduate grade point averages must be provided on a 4.0 scale. For assistance with converting GPAs, please see the FAQ.
- CV/Resume - Please include the following information: academic honors, awards received in college, research experience (i.e. academic, summer programs, internships), relevant employment history, and education information. Also provide a listing of any scientific publications, presentations, and/or posters. For assistance with preparing an academic CV, see this guide from the GSBS Office of Career Development.
- Personal statement - Please provide a one (1) page personal statement which explains your motivation for seeking a graduate degree in the Biomedical Sciences. This statement should discuss your professional career goals, your interest in science and why you are interested in obtaining your graduate degree at MD Anderson Cancer Center UTHealth Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences.
- Research Statement - Please provide a one (1) page research statement which describes your previous research experience. In this statement,
includea detailed description of at least one independent research project, what you did, what you learned and the significance of this work. If you do not have previous research experience, please explain what other experiences you have that make you a suitable candidate for graduate school. The research statement is required if you are applying to the PhDprogram and MS program in Biomedical Sciences.
- Optional Essay - The GSBS Admissions Committee takes into account many factors when evaluating applications. This includes any educational and/or socio-economic disadvantages in obtaining the knowledge, skills and abilities to develop and participate in a research career. For example, individuals from a social, cultural, financial, socio-economic or educational environment that did not promote access to research experiences or relevant educational opportunities may wish to detail how they have overcome adverse circumstances. Please use this optional essay to explain any disadvantages you experienced and how you overcame such obstacles.
- Letters of Recommendation - Recommenders should be well qualified to evaluate your scholastic performance, scientific ability, research interests and motivation, and personal attributes such as character and personality. If you are currently
enrolled,or have completed, a graduate degree program, one of these recommendations must be from your academic advisor or mentor. Three letters of recommendation are required to apply and applications are not reviewed until all three have been received. You will be asked to enter the recommender's professional (not personal) email address into the online form. Registered recommenders will receive an email from "Embark Team" requesting a letter be submitted online. Each letter must be on institutional letterhead and signed by the recommender. You will receive a confirmation email when a recommendation letter has been received on your behalf, and you may track the status by logging into your Embark account.
- GRE scores (Medical Physics applicants only) - For Fall 2022, the General GRE is required for applicants to Medical Physics only. Please upload a copy of your ETS score report online with your application.
- TOEFL scores (International applicants only) - A copy of your ETS TOEFL score report is required to uploaded with the application. International applicants who have received, or will receive prior to matriculation, a degree from a university at which English is the language of instruction are exempt from the TOEFL requirement. For information on waiving the TOEFL, please see the FAQ.
- Application fee - A $50 application fee is required. The online system will accept credit and debit cards only. If you do not have a credit or debit card, please contact the Office of Admissions.