Updated on Sept. 18, 2023
Graduate School issues attendance guidance as COVID-19 cases increase
As the COVID positivity rates increase in the Houston area, the Graduate School is issuing the follow guidelines:
• If you have COVID-19 symptoms, please self-test or get tested at UT Student Health Services.
• If you test positive, the school requires that you quarantine for seven (7) days. You may return to campus once you are fever-free for 24 hours and are asymptomatic. The school then requires that you wear a mask on campus for (3) three days.
If you have any questions about this guidance, please contact the Office of Academic Affairs (email@example.com).
GSBS students working remotely
During the height of the pandemic, modifications were made to allow students to work remotely in order to keep our community safe. However, these measures were temporary, made necessary by the pandemic, and were never meant to be permanent. Importantly, even with modifications for remote or hybrid work, GSBS students are expected to conduct their educational training in Houston. GSBS students who hold a GRA are not allowed to work outside the state of Texas due to taxation and employment law implications. International students, to satisfy physical presence requirements of their visa, also cannot work remotely.
Any exceptions to these requirements must be approved by the GSBS Dean’s Office (all students), MD Anderson Research and Trainee Programs (students appointed at MD Anderson), the Visa and Immigration Services Administration Department (international students at MD Anderson), and Office of International Affairs (all international students). Exceptions will only be considered if a clear educational benefit can be demonstrated (i.e. internships and fellowships). For questions please contact Karen.Weinberg@uth.tmc.edu.
For the latest information regarding safety protocols, travel, shuttles, parking, health, and more, the Graduate School asks that you refer to these institutional websites listed below. These sites, which require institutional credentials or network to access, are updated on a regular basis and should be checked often as MD Anderson and UTHealth maybe different information for its labs/clinics/employees.
Note: Institutional links require credentials to access.
Additional informational websites and resources regarding the pandemic:
- GSBS Fall 2022 Semester Info Sheet
- Harris County / City of Houston COVID-19 Data Tracking
- Texas Medical Center COVID-19 Updates page
- Texas Department of State Healh Serivce COVID-19 page
- CDC COVID-19 information page
If you still have questions after consulting the resources above, please email Talk2GSBS@uth.tmc.edu for assistance.